John Smith, of Mount Airy, scored the $3,000 top prize in Sunday’s 125-lap season opener for the Southern Modified Racing Series (SMRS) at Caraway Speedway. It was his fifth career SMRS victory, the most of any driver.
To get the win, Smith was in position in the final few laps when front runners Bobby Measmer Jr. and Jason Myers tangled racing for the lead. Myers spun and Smith was able to get the best of Measmer on the restart to get the lead and the win.
“It feels pretty good any time you can win, but especially winning the first one,” Smith said. “All of those cautions played into our favor and I think I had more tire left than the rest of them did.”
Smith powered to the victory with Measmer getting second. Third was Jeremy Gerstner with Christ Pateryak and Brandon Ward completing the top five.
There is little rest for the Southern Modified Racing Series teams who will be back in action on Saturday in the Orange Blossom Special 125 at Orange County Speedway in Rougemont, N.C.
The results can be found below.
125-lap Southern Modified Racing Series Feature
- John Smith, Mt. Airy, N.C
- Bobby Measmer Jr, Concord, N.C.
- Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, Fla.
- Chris Pateryak, Lisbon, Ct.
- Brandon Ward, Winston-Salem, N.C.
- Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C.
- Danny Bohn, Freehold, N.J.
- Mike Norman, Fayetteville, Tenn.
- J.R. Bertuccio, Centerrach, N.Y.
- Tom Buzze Jr., Maiden, N.C.
- Tim Brown, Cana, Va.
- Jimmy Wallace, Reedy Creek, N.C.
- Brian Lofton, Lexington, N.C.
- Ryan Preece, Berlin, Ct.
DNS: Austin Thompson, High Point, N.C