Now that Langley Speedway is set to re-open this spring, NASCAR star Denny Hamlin has stated an interest in reviving his Short Track Showdown and holding it at the Virginia short track at some point down the road.
The DHSTS was supposed to take place at Langley in 2016 before the track unexpectedly shut down. Lease holder Bill Mullis had been trying to purchase the facility from the California-based family that owned the property but wasn’t able to close the deal until January.
The 4/10-mile venue will re-open for racing on April 1 and the complete schedule will feature the popular Hampton Heat 200 Late Model Stock race. As for Hamlin Showdown, the reigning Daytona 500 winner is open to the idea.
“I just saw that and it’s definitely under consideration,” Hamlin said on Friday at Daytona International Speedway. “We’re still trying to figure out all the details. Obviously, we want to see that track healthy. It’s a great race track and really a great area that supports it.”
Hamlin competed at Langley during his own Late Model career and has been a vocal supporter of the discipline. As a Virginia native, Langley is one of his favorite tracks.
“I wish they didn’t have some of the land lord issues they’ve had over the years,” Hamlin said. “I want to see that track stay strong and will do whatever I can to support it.”
The DHSTS annually brought together NASCAR stars and Late Model invitees to compete at a rotation of several Virginia short tracks to raise awareness for Hamlin’s favorite CHARITABLE causes. The race began in 2008 at Southside Speedway and moved to Richmond International Raceway in 2011.
The race then took place at South Boston Speedway in 2014. It was scheduled to rotate between Langley and South Boston before Langley’s closure.